In 1956, the year after the Guthega Dam was first filled, the Kosciuszko State Park Trust gave permission for the conversion of the then-dilapidated hut into the present simple lodge. The lodge is maintained by members of Illawong Ski Tourers and friends. The nearby suspension bridge over the Snowy River and the flying fox over Farm Creek were built by members of Illawong. NPWS now maintains the suspension bridge and a new bridge over Farm Creek which has replaced the flying fox. The lodge can be reserved by members of the general public - see illawong.asn.au
. There is also a small emergency shelter in the base of the hut, on the western wall, with enough room for a few people to see out a blizzard, with some water, blankets and other emergency supplies.