Green Cape Lighthouse is a majestic, 29 meter tall, white octagon-shaped, concrete and blue stone monolith, at the southern tip of Ben Boyd National Park. The lighthouse construction was tendered in 1880 and Albert Aspinall started construction in 1881. He built a timber tram line from Bittangabee Bay to transport materials. After having to dig footing much deeper than expected, in addition to dealing with workers' disputes, Aspinall went broke and his creditors completed the project. The original lantern was oil-fired and was visible 19NM out to sea. Today, the lighthouse still operates with a solar-powered electric light. The lighthouse buildings and grounds can be visited on a tour, otherwise enjoyed from outside the fence. The lighthouse was functionally replaced with a more modern metal tower 60m down the hill in 1992.