Northern Circuit, Wilson's Promontory

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Northern Circuit, Wilson's Promontory

Postby publicrejoicer » Mon 29 Nov, 2021 8:14 pm

thanks Joris, Always good to hear current conditions of the circuit. succinct report. Three cheers for boobooks at night ! When do you go and collect the recorders? Is there anywhere on the web we can read the follow up to the sound survey ?
"solvitur ambulando"
publicrejoicer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Order Of Walkers
Region: Victoria

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 30 Nov, 2021 12:00 pm

Nice report.
Sounds like a good time was had.
Brings back memories...
That bog filled 4th water crossing tricks you. I stepped into it, and was up to mid-thigh of mud and water.
Ended up skirting it.
The thickets/trees at the Chinaman long beach end got me lost a few times, backtracking and faffing about, getting a bit cut up by the sharp stuff.
Real pain in the *&%$#! and time waster.
Now I need to resume the fetal position after thinking about it. :)
Baeng72
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Joris » Wed 01 Dec, 2021 7:32 am

publicrejoicer wrote:thanks Joris, Always good to hear current conditions of the circuit. succinct report. Three cheers for boobooks at night ! When do you go and collect the recorders? Is there anywhere on the web we can read the follow up to the sound survey ?

They last about a month so I will be back some time in summer depending on conditions and probably walk the circuit again.The survey is part of a government-funded effort to better understand the current population distribution of (Eastern) Ground Parrot - and particularly in light of the 2019-2020 bushfires which burned a significant portion of the species' habitat. Certainly there will be a report to government and I presume there will be a publicly accessible version of it at some point in 2022.

Baeng72 wrote:Nice report.
Sounds like a good time was had.
Brings back memories...
That bog filled 4th water crossing tricks you. I stepped into it, and was up to mid-thigh of mud and water.
Ended up skirting it.
The thickets/trees at the Chinaman long beach end got me lost a few times, backtracking and faffing about, getting a bit cut up by the sharp stuff.
Real pain in the *&%$#! and time waster.
Now I need to resume the fetal position after thinking about it. :)

That bog crossing fooled me. By the time I realised the situation there was no point in skirting it - mud bath! :lol:
Joris
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Previous

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes