Starting from South Macushla Campsite, Hinchinbrook Island, this walk takes you to South Shepherd Bay and back. You can traverse through the rainforests in Kirkville Hills and observe the wildlife during your journey. The area is host to dugongs, skinks and wild birds that you can encounter or look for as you continue along. The beautiful Shepherd Bay welcomes you with open views of the ocean. If you visit the area during summer, do not forget to take a dip or walk barefoot along the bay. The path has a significant amount of shade, but you can still bring plenty of water with you as it is situated in a remote area. Let us begin by acknowledging the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we travel today, and pay our respects to their Elders past and present.
Before you start any bushwalk ensure you;
• Tell someone you trust where you are going and what to do if you are overdue
• Have adequate equipment, supplies, skills & knowledge for the whole journey
• Consider the impact of weather forecasts, park/track closures & fire dangers
• Can respond to emergencies & call for help at any point
• Are healthy and fit enough for this journey
If not, change plans and stay safe. It is okay to delay and ask people for help.