Starting at the Blackburn Lake Visitors Centre just off Central Road in Blackburn, this circuit walk loops around Blackburn Lake via the Lakeside Circuit track. Enjoy a scenic stroll surrounded by native bush, with plenty of opportunities to spot local wildlife. This walk takes you an easy-going, well-maintained and signed gravel path within the Blackburn Lake Sanctuary, looping all the way around the serene Blackburn Lake. The lake is home to many ducks, coots, cormorants and herons, and sometimes swans, pelicans, and tortoises can also be seen. There are wooden decks and boardwalks along the way where you can get an even better view of the lake. There are two wonderful playgrounds in the Sanctuary where kids can have a great time playing. The park also offers free parking, picnic tables, barbecues, toilet facilities and an information centre. Bring your four-legged friends, but keep them on a leash. Let us begin by acknowledging the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we travel today, and pay our respects to their Elders past and present.
Before you start any bushwalk ensure you;
• Tell someone you trust where you are going and what to do if you are overdue
• Have adequate equipment, supplies, skills & knowledge for the whole journey
• Consider the impact of weather forecasts, park/track closures & fire dangers
• Can respond to emergencies & call for help at any point
• Are healthy and fit enough for this journey
If not, change plans and stay safe. It is okay to delay and ask people for help.